UN SDG 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development
Agnico Eagle is committed to maintaining high standards of integrity, transparency and respect for our stakeholders – our employees, the communities in which we operate, all levels of government, our business partners and shareholders. Our governance practices guide our behavior and performance, helping to ensure we act in an ethically responsible manner, uphold our core values and fulfill the commitments of Agnico Eagle’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics. We also subject our company to the scrutiny of national and international organizations with respect to our business and human rights practices.
Working for a Sustainable Future:
Our strong governance foundation helps ensure we achieve high standards of ethical conduct:
- We have an HSE-SD Committee of the Board of Directors to verify that our business and operational practices, while in keeping with the best interest of our shareholders, respect the obligations of environmental protection, health, safety and social acceptability.
- We have a Code of Business Conduct and Ethics signed by all our employees upon hiring and routinely thereafter.
- We have a confidential whistleblowing line, which allows any individual to raise issues of integrity, either of a financial, environmental, health, safety or human rights nature.
- We have established grievance mechanisms for the communities around our mines to bring up concerns and complaints, and to guide the mine in how to address them.
- We are a signatory to the Conflict Free Gold Standard, for which we are independently audited on a yearly basis.
- We officially adhere to the Voluntary Principles for Security and Human Rights.
- As a member of the Mining Association of Canada, we implement the Toward Sustainable Mining (TSM) initiative at all our mines in Canada and abroad. Every three years we are externally audited for the TMS’s seven protocols.